Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hold the milk & bread, please!

 (I started this post a year ago-but somehow never posted it and got too distracted by life to post at all.  Now, a year later, we are embarking on the same journey, but adding no gluten to what was only no dairy!)

OK.  I finally am ready to start the no dairy, no gluten trial - to hopefully help my little white-food only eater expand her food horizons and perhaps bring some focus to my dreamy ADD child.  We are going dairy-free & gluten-free for a month.  We officially started Friday, March 1st - although I started my more intense cleanse Monday (no dairy, no gluten, no soy, no corn, no strawberries, no tomatoes, and on and on!)

I have no qualms about not consuming dairy products - it has long struck me as odd that we eat & drink this food that is THE perfect food for baby cows.  No other animal drinks OUR breast milk.  Why do we drink theirs?  Although, I must admit that I do love cheese, yogurt, kefir, rice pudding...but I digress.  And contrary to what your mother told you, it is not a good way to get your calcium.  My health coaching clients get to hear all about this.

My misgivings about giving up dairy are two-fold.  First, dairy substitutes are expensive!  Even more expensive than the organic raw milk we have been drinking the last few years.

But more importantly, the dairy substitutes (almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, grain milk, coconut milk, hemp milk - did I miss any?) can have some unsavory additives.  Sugar being the most frequent offender, although all kinds of "milk" are available unsweetened.  Then there is carrageenan, a thickening agent.  Follow the link to see what Dr.Weil has to say about this suspect substance.  The Vitamin D most often added is D2, which is not bad - just not very bio-available.

Our "milk" of choice is Almond Milk - best if homemade, but Organic Whole Foods brand will work in a pinch!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment